Pages

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Patriot Pancakes: A 4th of July Breakfast Idea (30 Day Challenge - Day 6)

Pancakes.  The breakfast of champions in this household.  All of the children love them, even the adults.  We used to buy the Hungry Jack mix since most mornings I don't have all that much time, but since I've been trying to make sure that my kids are eating as healthy as possible I've been looking for a homemade mix.  Thanks to Pinterest, I've managed to do just that.  The link ultimately originates at this blog, Super Healthy Kids.  The recipe that I use from their website is below.


Homemade Pancake Mix

This recipe is copied from www.superhealthykids.com/blog/homemade-pancake-mix.php

Instructions

Pancake Mix:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups white flour
  • 1 1/4 cup powdered milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 Cup baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp salt
Mix together with a whisk and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.  
To Make Pancakes Add:
  • 1 1/2 cups mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp Canola oil
  • 1 egg
Mix together.  Pour batter onto a hot griddle or pan.  



When I make pancakes, I always double this recipe.  The pancakes cook up great and they also freeze well.  The kids love to reheat them during the week for breakfast.  Maguire normally loves to use them to make peanut butter tacos in the morning.  I love these for when the kids want me to make shaped pancakes.  They hold their shape well since the mix is a little thicker than the other ones that we used before.

Patriot Pancakes.  I thought it sounded better than Freedom FlapJacks, but call them what you want.  These pancakes came about since I had a bunch of berries that we needed to use.  We normally have quite a bit in the house since Sylvia loves fresh fruit for breakfast, blueberries being her favorite.  Her second favorite breakfast item is pancakes.  When dealing with children, you've got to change things up and Patriot Pancakes were a big hit.  I made my usual homemade pancake mix and got the griddle hot, but decided to pull out some cream cheese and let it warm up.  I mixed it with some honey for sweetness and layered it between their pancakes.  I added a dollop on top, covered with strawberries and blueberries.  Von and Kennedy love to add strawberry syrup on top as well, as for me, I like it plain.  I hope that everyone has a Happy 4th of July!  

Patriot Pancakes

For the cream mix:
8 oz cream cheese
2 Tbsp honey (or to taste)

Bring the cream cheese to room temperature.  Add the honey and whisk until mixed.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment