Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Maguire's Dictionary (30 Day Challenge - Day 5)

I'm late on my Day 5 post due to the fact I'm driving cross country with two 7 year olds and a 10 year old Miniature Pinscher for driving companions.  Hopefully I can stop earlier tonight and get Day 6 in with no problem!  

Maguire, my oldest, can be quite creative with words.  It's almost to the point that he can make up a word, use it in a sentence, and leave you wondering if it's real.  I've had to look up many of his creations, but here are a couple of no brainers.

Mo'vehicle: a motor vehicle. I don't know where or how this one came about, but this was added to his vocabulary somehow and he's stuck with it.  I mean, car, would be a shorter word, but no, Mo'vehicle has more pizazz.  Now don't get me wrong, Maguire is an outstanding speller and has a pretty large vocabulary, but he can be lazy and the shortening of words is one way that he shows it. 

Bu-cept: but + except.  This one is quite the gem and can be used for various reasons.  Normally he uses it like this, "Bu-cept do I have to?".  He also likes to use it in conjunction with mo'vehicle.  "I put it in the mo'vehicle, bu-cept I can't find it."  

Last but not least, Maguire had inclusive as a vocabulary word this year.  He was trying to show off to Kennedy his prowess with his new words and this is what we he said, "Kennedy, you need to be more inclusitive with your friends."  Same meaning as inclusive just with an added -itive to make it lively.

Maguire looks at these words as his creative license.  He has a point, ginormous wasn't a recognized word until a few years ago.  Maybe one of these will catch on, inclusitive would be my best choice bu-cept you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment