Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again

I was married when I had my first child.  We separated about six months after he was born and my new life as a single mother began.  When I found out I was pregnant with Kennedy, I didn't even blink an eye with her father's decision to not be a part of her life.  It was the three of us and we were in this life together.  The Three Amigos!

I was an E-4 when all of this was happening, so I wasn't getting paid all that much.  My awesome mother decided to quit her job and help me out full time!  Yay!  I was looking at a $2300 child care bill a month for someone who would work with my schedule.  I was paying $1300 for Maguire by himself, but let me just say that his daycare lady was fabulous and very flexible with my shift work.  Back to mom, she made some sacrifices for me and I will always appreciate the help she gave me so that I could continue to advance in the military.

I had a very short marriage in 2008, which has subsequently been annulled (Does it even count?).  We had been together for a couple of years, but when his job moved him to another state, he decided that family life was for the birds.

Then came Hubs.  We were both jaded on the idea of relationships, marriage (see my first 2 mistakes), and commitment due to our previous experiences in those departments.  I was a real man hater and he was a woman hater (if you saw his tattoos, you'd understand).  Talk about a match made in heaven!  Slowly but surely our relationship grew, but instead of talking about marriage, we were more focused on a baby.  Hubs joined the military when Von was a baby, making him miss those early years, so that was his motivating factor.  My biological clock was ticking, ladies, you know what I'm talking about!  We decided to go for it.  We were great friends and loved each other, but didn't feel that marriage was the route we were destined for (Little did we know).  We had Sylvia and life was perfect, for the moment.  The military doesn't co-locate due to being in a relationship with someone (a whole other story), so we got married.  Best decision ever (so we think)!

Hubs left on Friday to go get Von for our summer visit and I realized how much I rely on him.  I've gotten used to having him around.  When I sleep at night I hear both him and Sylvia breathing and it comforts me.  He picks up the slack in so many ways around here.  He's Mr. Mom when I'm at work during the night.  He makes sure kids are bathed, teeth brushed, and asleep at the right time.  When I'm at home, he's quick to deal with Sylvia so that I can cook or clean with ease.  I haven't been able to do things as quickly since he's been gone because she is such a clinger.  Plus, she runs around the house at warp speed.  She's like The Flash sometimes with the way she gets around.  My quick jaunt back into single motherhood is a harsh reminder of what my life was before him and hopefully never will be.

When I was a single mother, I felt that I was a great mother (I still feel that I am a great mother, but now it's like I'm married to Mr. Incredible).  I had an awesome supportive family and was able to take care of everything by myself.  I was both a mother and father to my children.  I meet Hubs and now I realize that I need the help, he was my single mom kryptonite.  I can't do it all by myself.  I need a shoulder to cry on when I've had a bad day.  He's there to help me all the time.  This week was our first week apart since after Sylvia was born.  I've never been more appreciative of him or what he does.  Sylvia, Kennedy, and I are counting down the days until he's home again, literally.        

Sylvia with Hubs at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment