Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Flag Day

"I Pledge Allegiance
To the Flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic
For which it stands,
One Nation under God,
Indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all."


Taken at the Veteran's Museum in Balboa Park.

The other day when I was dropping Sylvia off at the CDC (Child Development Center), the horn went off signaling the beginning of Morning Colors.  I quickly put her diaper bag on the ground and popped to attention after getting her settled on my hip.  We stood there for those few minutes, Sylvia happily hugging me as I saluted our Nation's Flag.  There were a few parents in uniform who made the quick dash inside so that they could avoid the delay caused by that 0800 ceremony, understandable considering it takes quite a few minutes to drop your child off.  Please realize that I am not judging, I've been there and done that before.  What surprised me though, was the woman that had been sitting in her car that caught up with me to commend me on stopping and saluting.   

A Marine Major that I worked for years ago once asked me, "Why do Sailors run for the doors when they hear the 5 minute warning for Colors?  They run from saluting the flag and officer's faster than they do when they do for their fitness tests!".  He was right.  

So in honor of Flag Day today, here are some facts about Old Glory.  

-June 14, 1777 commemorates the adoption of the Flag of the United States by resolution of the Second Continental Congress.

-Flag Day is not an official federal holiday.  It'd be nice if it was, can we say three day weekend?

-There have been 27 official versions of the flag so far.  The most current version dates to July 4, 1960, when Hawaii became the 50th state.

-The American flag was first saluted by foreign naval vessels on February 14, 1778, when the Ranger, bearing the Star and Stripes and under the command of Captain Paul Jones, arrived in a French port.

Today our flag is 236 years old.  God Bless America!





No comments:

Post a Comment